Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Exploring my options: Bronze metal clay

I'm delving into a whole new level of metal clay skill--after master artist Hadar Jacobson's wonderful five day December seminar in Berkeley--I'm moving out of my comfort zones and habits, into brand new tools and techniques!

Being a almost entirely bronze-centric artisan, I'm testing out all of the bronze clays I can get my hands on in order to find the best clay for my work, as well as my brain and fingertips! Following is what I found, in my own particularly unscientific way:

Here, I tried similar hollow "giraffe print" rings in FastFire Bronz (left) and Hadar's Bronze XT (right). FastFire is harder to work with on multi-layered, hollow forms as if cracks easily, and isn't as strong or flexible (presumably it contains less binder for quick and easy firing). It required no repairs once fired however. Hadar's clay was a dream to work with (moist, rubbery, creamy and SLOOOW-drying ), but requires longer firing and seems to need more repairs post-firing. Note the yellow hue of FastFire and pinkish hue of Hadar's Bronze XT.
   
Here I tried a hollow form raven pendent with Hadar's Brilliant Bronze. I should have reinforced more of the center of this form as it buckled slightly in certain areas. The white CZ gem went cloudy, as they always seem to do with this clay. 
   

I also tried a pair of super simple, delicate oval earrings with Hadar's Brilliant Bronze. They worked out beautifully, no cracks or warps (but need further finishing!).





  
  







Next I tried another hollow form with Hadar's Brilliant Bronze. I re-thought the hollow/round ring "template" I'd learned and the shape worked beautifully. I wasn't able, however, to get a medallion to sinter in the center of the ring--thus the gaping hole. That aside, I love this shape and will continue to use this form.




Finally, I made a simple hollow ring using Goldi Bronze. SWOON? The clay was lovely to work with and it fired beautifully. It was, perhaps, ever so slightly more brittle to work with when green and dry, but it's comparable to Hadar's clay in it's fantastic consistency. Firing was very easy (30 min prefire and 40 min firing in kiln). Not a crack, not a kink. Granted, it may have been that I did a better job on the construction of this piece, but I really think the magic's in this wonderful clay! Goldie bronze has a pretty golden hue, though subtler and whiter than FastFire or Hadar's.

  

Following are two photos of my complete (and unpolished) failures: a bangle made from Hadar's Brilliant Bronze and Copper clays (required two repair attempts post firing, at which point it sprung another crack and I gave up); a steel and bronze ring (Hadar's clay) which cracked in multiple places; and a small steel-bezeled, copper-centered pendent which cracked all over the place as well (Hadar's Steel XT and Copper clays). No energy or will power left to repair these pieces!  

NEXT, I'll give Metal's Adventures Bronze a try and will check back with more results and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment